Monday, August 10, 2015

Time is moving fast

Galway library-written in English and Irish
August 10, 2015

Wow I can't believe how quickly time is going by!   I am almost done with my first transfer here in the mission field. Sunday night I will find out if I am getting moved to a different area or getting a new companion or if anything else changes. There's probably a 90% chance that nothing will change that will affect me because they typically have new missionaries trained in the same area with the same companion for 2 transfers (12 weeks), but who knows! Anything could happen, especially because there is a huge group of missionaries coming in next Wednesday- around 25 I think which is even bigger than my group. Sending letters this week is probably fine because there aren’t likely to be any changes for me. 

It is a little more calm here for now because all the big events are over with. However, school and universities start at the end of August so there will be lots of international students coming to get settled in the next couple weeks. There are two major universities in Galway: National Univeristy of Ireland- Galway (NUIG) and Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT). Apparently when the universities start, missionaries can find a lot of students to teach, so hopefully that will be good for us.

On Tuesday we went to Limerick again for district meeting, and it was supposed to be a really good rest of the day because we had two lessons set up, but they didn't work out. For both lessons we brought members to help us teach and for both appointments, the people were but said they were actually two busy or couldn't meet at the moment. So it was a little disappointing, but we ended just having good discussions with the two members we had brought to the lessons. One of the members was this man from South Africa and he is such a cool guy! He was a convert in his late teenage years in South Africa, he had really cool experiences. He is very intelligent and has even written and published a book. So it was really great getting to know him. He has such a strong testimony!

However, we did have a few really good lessons with investigators this week, and unfortunately we weren't able to get any of them at church, but we have some really great things set up for this next week so I am really excited for this upcoming week. The other companionship in Galway, Elder Salinas and Elder Williams had one investigator at church this week for the first time and she really loved it! She was actually someone that Elder Salinas and I found while talking to people on the street when we were on exchanges, so it was cool to see how she is progressing now.

There weren't a lot of people at church this week because a few families were gone on vacation, but it was still really good. I was the pianist for sacrament meeting, plus I passed the sacrament! I guess from now on, I will be the pianist for church every other week- switching with the other person who normally played before I came into the area.

This week it rained quite a bit! There were still a couple sunny days, but there was still quite a bit of rain. It's pretty difficult when I see it pouring outside and I know that I have to step outside and ride or walk around for the next few areas. On Saturday we were out knocking doors for a few hours while it was pouring on us the whole time. It started to get really cold, and we were both completely drenched by the time we got back to the flat. I have never been so cold or wet in August before. Almost every door we knocked on, the people would say something like "You should be home sitting by the fire" or "Mind yourselves" or "Find some shelter". However, we did find a few very nice people that invited us to come back another time, so it was all worth it!

I have been studying a lot about doing the things the easy way vs. doing things the right way. Missionary work is difficult, but that is the way it is supposed to be. It can still be fun, but it won't be easy. Although I guess it really isn't that difficult when you look at the early members of the church or even the original apostles of Jesus Christ who were killed and persecuted for proclaiming the gospel. As it says in Alma 37:46, I cannot be slothful because of the easiness of the way. In Doctrine and Covenants 132 it talks about how the righteous way is a narrow gate (v. 22) while the wicked way is a broad gate (v. 25). It is much easier to do the wrong thing, but will be happy for doing the righteous thing even though it is more difficult.

I am so grateful for this opportunity to do the Lord's work and and bring others unto Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment