Monday, August 24, 2015

Great start to another six weeks in Galway!

Elder Daysen Christensen, Elder Oxspring, Elder Wyatt Christensen
Milan's new trainer is on the left
August 24, 2015
Wow it's been quite the crazy week with all the moves and changes happening in the mission. After we got the call a week ago that the companionships in our flat would be changing, it got pretty hectic. Monday and Tuesday was pretty much all packing for the two Elders in our flat leaving, as well as meeting with a bunch of members and investigators to say goodbye. It was so sad watching Elder Christensen say goodbye to so many great people. I am not looking forward to leaving Galway when I do. That's the tough part about missions: building so many great relationships with people, just to say goodbye a couple months later. But I am not going to focus on that right now because I love the people so much.

It was so cool experiencing what it is like to be apart of all the transfers happening throughout the mission. So on Tuesday evening, Elder Christensen and Elder Salinas left our flat and took a bus to Dublin and stayed the night there. Me and Elder Williams just stayed the night together in our flat. Then on Wednesday morning, I and Elder Williams were driven to Limerick by the senior couple. Elder Williams met his new companion there because he was coming up from Cork. However, I had to travel to Dublin to pick up my new companion and take him back to Galway. So I drove with one of my zone leaders, Elder Ilori, to Dublin. And guess what... Elder Ilori let me drive there, so it was a lot of fun driving a few hours through some pretty hard rain to Dublin from Limerick. A lot of missionaries going through transfers met at a chapel in Dublin, and it was a lot of fun being there for most of the day. I met my new companion at the chapel right when I got there, but we stayed there with the rest of the missionaries til the evening time because our bus to Galway didn't leave until then. But it was a good time talking with other missionaries there and there was a gym in the chapel so we shot around some basketballs too so it was great. My old companion who I already said goodbye to was actually there too so I got to spend more time with him there. Then we went to the bus station, and there were soooooo many missionaries traveling through the Dublin bus station. There must have been at least 30 missionaries there. But it was fun to meet so many missionaries and find out where they were all going. The craziest move that I saw was a missionary coming from the Shetland islands way north of Scotland near Norway, coming all the way down to Tralee, Ireland. He left Monday, and wasn't going to get to Tralee til Thursday. He had some insane travel plans. But anyway, we left from Dublin and took a reallllly long bus ride back to Galway. It had a lot of stops so we didn't get back to Galway until really late. But it was good because I had a lot of time to get to know my new companion Elder Daysen Christensen.

So the new Elder Christensen is a lot of fun! He is from Canada (has lived all over Canada, but his family is currently in Toronto), and was just serving in Dundalk, Ireland. He only has 6 months left, so he is really experienced and can probably teach me a lot. He is full of energy and always so happy and excited. I think we are going to work really well together, so I am really looking forward to the next six weeks! He is really enthusiastic about Galway and after being around the city for the first few days, he says he thinks it is one of the nicest areas in the whole mission. 

Because of all the craziness happening with all the moves, we didn't get to teach a whole lot of lessons, but we still did have a few. And we talked to and found a lot of good people as well. We have a lot of lessons set up for this next week, so I am really excited! The other new missionary in my flat, companions with Elder Williams, is Elder Dewsbery. He is our new district leader and also lots of fun, so I think it will be a great time in our flat.

In the Book of Mormon, I am reading in Helaman and from my studies I am learning so many great things! I have learned how necessary trials our in our lives because often when things are going so well in our lives, we forget Heavenly Father and how he has blessed us. Helaman 6:17 is a great scripture about how people were blessed with prosperity, but then forgot God and began to be so prideful and focused on wordly things. We must rely on the Lord, if we are to be the most prosperous.

I love missionary work and I am so excited for all the opportunities that I have.
(Note- in the mission the first trainer is called your "Father", if you have a second trainer they're called your "Mom"- so Milan had Father Christensen and Mother Christensen as trainers!)
District before transfers

Sunset in Galway




No comments:

Post a Comment