Thursday, November 19, 2015

Travel, travel, travel

Last picture before transfers
November 16, 2015
Wow this was such an incredibly exciting week for me! Most of the week I wasn't even in Galway because of all my travels. 

     So my journey began on Tuesday afternoon when I bussed down to Limerick with Elder Williams and Elder Christensen. Elder Williams immediately left on a bus to Dublin after that, so I spent the rest of the day in Limerick in a trio with Elder Christensen and Elder Wall (who used to be in my district) until the evening time when the Zone leaders asked me to go with them in a trio to do some finding and teaching. I spent all evening with them and stayed the night at their flat as well. Doing some finding with the Zone leaders and just spending the night with them really helped me a lot! They are great examples of how to do missionary work, so I think it was the real beginning of my leadership training for the week. On Wednesday I drove with the Zone leaders to Dublin where we spent the whole day and met up with a few other missionaries as well who were moving around or waiting for their companions to arrive. I had a great reunion with Elder McCappin who was in my district in the MTC. Ah it was so great seeing him again! And guess what!? He is also becoming a district leader, so we got to go together to new leadership training! But I was able to spend Wednesday night doing some street contacting in Dublin with Elder McCappin which was loads of fun because he is also such a great missionary! We both stayed the night at the Dublin Zone leaders' flat and then had to get up super early at 4:30 to catch our 6:40 flight to Edinburgh. Flying was so cool! Elder McCappin and I flew on this small prop plane on an airline called Aer Lingus, so it was pretty unique.

      The New Leadership training in Edinburgh was absolutely incredible! The Spirit was so powerful throughout the whole meeting. It was a pretty small group of us getting trained- 5 Elders and 2 Sisters, but it was fantastic. We received training from the AP's and the Sister AP's and President and his wife and the Edinburgh Zone leaders. Oh and I don't know if I mentioned it before, but Elder Ilori is the new AP (my old Zone Leader from my first 2 moves) so it was so wonderful seeing him again and receiving training from him- such a great missionary! At one point during the training, Elder McCappin and I were asked to role play teaching the Holy Ghost Principle (something we teach people in the first lesson to help them recognise the Spirit), and it went so well! The Spirit was so strong and everyone said we worked so well together, and even joked that we would be future companions because we taught so well together!  The whole training was so spiritual and I feel so much more prepared to be a district leader now.  



    After leadership training, Elder McCappin and I still had a few hours before our flight left, so we went out street contacting at a university in Edinburgh, and again it was so fun and such a good learning opportunity for me. I had so much more confidence while talking to students at the University- it was great!! Then we flew back to Dublin in the evening with a sister named Sister Skousen who had received training that day also and was moving to an area in Dublin. Our flight was a delayed a bit so we got back pretty late and stayed at the Dublin Zone leaders' flat again. I had to get up really early again and the Zone leaders picked up Elder Carmichael from another flat in Dublin and dropped us off at the bus station where we took a bus back to Galway early in the morning. It was so great seeing Elder Carmichael after not seeing him since the MTC! I am so excited to work with him. Elder Carmichael is from Swindon, England  so it should be a lot of fun having an English companion. He seems really willing to work hard, so I think we will have a great transfer together! He is just coming from serving in Cumbernauld, Scotland (right outside of Glasgow) so he is excited to be in Ireland now. I love that we have been out the same amount of time because neither of us feels more senior than the other and we are just equal partners doing missionary work- it's great!

    Elder Williams is now training a missionary named Elder Scholz who is from Valencia, California (right by six flags) and he seems really excited and enthusiastic about being a missionary. I think our district/flat this transfer will be so great! Everyone seems to obedient and hard-working, so we will have a good time! It was probably a rough couple of days being introduced to Ireland for Elder Carmichael and Elder Scholz though because it poured on us most of Friday and literally all day Saturday! As soon as we stepped outside Saturday, we immediately got soaked. I had about 4 layers on and I got drenched through and I had pools of water in my shoes the whole day. It definitely got way colder in Galway while I was gone all week too because I can't even go outside with out a couple layers on now. It gets dark sooo early now too, it's crazy! So because I was gone out of my area the whole week and all the rain, I didn't get to do a whole lot of teaching, and we weren't able to get anyone at church unfortunately. But we already have a few things set up this week so we are pretty excited! And of course we have All-Ireland this with Elder Ballard (which got moved to Saturday instead of Thursday) so we are stoked for that! Oh and this transfer will only be 5 weeks instead of 6 so that missionaries aren't moving around the week of Christmas. So this transfer will fly by! We will be getting our moves calls 4 weeks from yesterday- so crazy!  


     So at the leadership training they talked about our SIM mission scripture which I really love- it is D&C 123:17 : "Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed." This was especially good for me this week while going around in the pouring rain because I am reminded to go about cheerfully! Nothing lies in my power to change the weather, but I can still be cheerful and full of enthusiasm. People notice how we go about, and who would want to be taught by two guys who look like they are miserable? Even as just members of the church, we must be mindful of those who are around us because we are examples of Christ himself. Let us all go about cheerfully and full of faith!!
Stumbled on some interesting graffiti! 

No comments:

Post a Comment