Tuesday, November 10, 2015

New Galway District leader!



Ready to go forth
November 9, 2015
This was Elder Dewsbery's last week of his mission! He left on a bus to Dublin after church yesterday on his journey back to Edinburgh where he will fly back to Canada later this week. It was sad to see him go, but he seemed very excited to go home to his family. 
RIP Elder Dewsbery
So currently I am in a trio with Elder Christensen and Elder Williams for a couple days until all the moves happen this week. The 3 of us anxiously waited for our moves call last night...

So here's the news:
Crazy enough, Elder Williams and I are staying in Galway AGAIN! Elder Christensen will be headed off to Cork, Ireland this week so it will be sad to see him go. I found out that my new companion will be Elder Carmichael (from England)! I actually know Elder Carmichael pretty well because guess what?! We were in the MTC together! So we both have only been out 4 and 1/2 months. So you would surely think that Elder Williams would be assigned an experienced companion so we don't have a whole district full of newbies... wrong! Elder Williams will be training, so he will be picking up his trainee this week from Edinburgh. Oh and there's one more twist... I'm the new Galway District leader! Wow... crazy huh?? I feel like I just barely started my mission and now I am Senior Companion and District Leader?! I really couldn't believe it, but I suppose the Lord qualifies those who He calls. So because I am becoming a leader now, I get to attend  New Leadership Training this week in Edinburgh (it's for everyone who gets called to a leadership assignment for the first time). So this will be a crazy week of travel!! I got my flight tickets emailed to me today... That's right, I get to FLY to Edinburgh Thursday morning from Dublin and then fly back the same night. I am so excited!!

So I don't have a whole lot of time to talk about my week, but it wasn't too bad at all!! The highlight was on Tuesday when we tried a really creative way of finding people. So as a district we went to a pretty busy part of the city centre and wrote in chalk in big letters "What Makes You Happy?" and then we handed out pieces of chalk to people as they walked by and asked them to write down what makes them happy. It was so successful!!!
We had this huge area of the ground that was covered in chalk because so many people wrote down things that made them happy. And we talked to everyone that wrote something on the ground and were able to find a few people that are interested in meeting with us and learning more about our message of happiness, so it was wonderful!!
 We taught a good amount of lessons this week as well! We had a pie party social for a branch activity on Saturday night at the church, where everyone brought pies and ate and just had a good time, so it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately we were not able to get any investigators there or at church the next Sunday, so it was a bummer. But I think there should be a lot of good opportunities in the next few weeks, and when new missionaries come, it always adds to the enthusiasm so I am really excited!


So after getting my moves call and finding out that I was District Leader and Senior Companion, it was a little overwhelming with me being so young and in my first area, so to me it seemed a bit crazy at first. But the example of Enoch really helped me understand how the Lord qualifies those that he calls. Enoch asked the Lord "Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad" (Moses 6:31), and I feel almost the exact same way! But this was the Lord's reply to Enoch: "Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good" (Moses 6:32). As I read on to see the incredible servant that Enoch became and how the Lord accompanied him with his task, it gave me much hope and surety. I know the Lord will provide a way for me to become an effective tool in His hands as long as I am diligent and obedient.

Lovely Ireland

The Fantastic Four, one last time
Having a little fun...
Looks like the Snitch is within reach!
No Shave November










No comments:

Post a Comment