Monday, May 16, 2016

Surprise Baptism!



May 16, 2016
So this was quite an interesting week... It feels like Satan is working sooo hard against us at the moment, but we are doing all that we can to prevail. So the huge news is about Rhianna! I have written about her a lot before, and unfortunately she moved just out of our area. But the Elders in the Pollock ward (southside of Glasgow) did great work with her and out of the blue on Monday I get a call from Rhianna telling us that she is getting baptised on Sunday and inviting us to her baptism! Not only that... But she also asked me to baptise her!! I was incredibly honored, and so happy that I got to a part of her baptism. Especially after working with her so much to help her progress. So I got permission from President and went to her baptism in the Pollock ward when our church was ending on Sunday. It was an amazing service and I was privileged to be able to baptise her. 
Elder V, Elder Oxspring, Rhianna, Elder Oldham, Elder Tulip

 So the baptismal service was definitely the highlight of the week because we had sooo many things go wrong this week that hindered our work... it was ridiculous. So a couple weeks ago while I was driving, I was maneuvering around this delivery truck that was stopped in part of my lane, and I just cut it too close and clipped my rearview mirror and damaged a part of the side of the car. It wasn't a huge deal because it didn't affect the ability to drive the car, but this week we just had to take it in to get repaired, and it sounds like it might take a little while. So for a little while we are sharing a car with the Elders in Motherwell just south of Glasgow, so it just makes things a bit trickier, and we have to take a lot of buses when we do not have the car. Sorting out all the logistics to take care of the car took a while, so it was just a bit annoying. Then on Saturday, while we taking a bus, we are pretty sure that Elder V's phone was left on the bus. So now we also only have one phone to use, which makes it a bit difficult to take care of all our responsibilities and organize our plans... and we still haven't found it after talking a lot with the bus service. In addition, we had a lot of appointments fall through and just a lot of unfortunate events. 

It was a pretty eventful week though. It was a beautiful sunny all-week long which helped a lot as well. On Tuesday after district meeting we stayed with the Elders in Airdrie (east of Glasgow) and worked with them for the day. 
District meeting in Airdrie:
Elder McPherson, Elder V (sitting down), Elder Baker, Elder Stanley, me, and Elder Carlisle


I was with Elder Carlisle for that day, and then on Wednesday we took them back to Glasgow to work with them in our area. I was with Elder Stanley, who is my mission brother because he was also trained by Elder Daysen Christensen. We had another exchange on Friday as well, where I was with Elder Shiels in Glasgow, who is just brand new to the mission a few weeks ago. So we had a pretty fun week with lots of exchanges and sunshine, but just a lot of extra things made it tough. Many of our good investigators are out of town as well, so that made it tough. But there is this incredible man that we just started teaching that we had such a good lesson with! His name is Jim and he had a pretty strong Catholic background and whose wife just passed away a couple years ago. We took our recent convert John because he also comes from a Catholic background and is of a similar age in late 50s. Such a powerful Spirit-filled lesson!! We taught him the Restoration and he understood and loved all of it. He said it completely made sense that God would call a prophet again, just like he did before and he said he couldn't believe that Joseph Smith would ever make up a story about the First Vision and stick to it. John helped a lot as well by testifying and telling Jim about his conversion story. John loooves Joseph Smith and his testimony was powerful. Since we saw Jim he has been reading the Book of Mormon as well and has really been enjoying it, so we are excited to go by and teach him tonight. 


Even though we had a lot of tough events hinder us, we are also seeing a lot of blessings and are teaching sooo many solid people. I really hope I get to stay in Glasgow through June, because then I will get to see so much of my efforts pay off. We are looking forward to another great week. I am grateful the Lord is humbling us, because he is making us stronger. Great things are ahead!


           
                 Me and Elder Villaneuva with our new kilts.

Jeremiah- My contact I taught once who is out of my area.
Jeremiah attended Rhianna's baptism. 


No comments:

Post a Comment